Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Thane Rides a Horse



Today was the day we’ve been waiting 7 months for . . . Thane started therapeutic horseback riding! I am so proud of him! He did great!

We did try to prepare him for this as the horses are pretty big in comparison to a little man like Thane. We went and met the horses, took pictures, and I put together a social story book with the photographs. It wasn’t one of my best, but it seems like some of these things get easier over time. He knew exactly what he needed to do right until getting on the horse. He was a bit scared at first and wanted to control the situation, but once he got on the horse he was all smiles and chatting away.
He got to ride Lucy, the smallest horse, and the one he met and pet when we visited. He was calling out “Giddy up, Lucy!” He was adorable.

The lighting in the place is something I don’t know how to deal with – sunlight streaming in through big doors and windows up high, while the indoors is kind of dim. In other words, my photos are all awful. I also forgot a decent camera, which didn’t help me any. But here is a little video clip. There are other animals around, including a rooster (you’ll understand when you watch).

3 comments:

Melissa R said...

How nice to finally have this happening! He seemed happy and he rode the whole time, wow! I hope he continues to enjoy it going forward :)

Melissa R

Anonymous said...

Bec, this just made me tear up! I can't believe how emotional I got! He looks so happy - like he was totally meant to be on that horse, and I'm thrilled for him that he is getting this opportunity.

I'm a huge believer in the big picture, the plan that is laid out for us in life. I know some of the struggle you went through to become Thane's mom, but it just all makes sense to me. You were meant to mother THIS child. He was desinted to be yours from the very beginning of your life, and you have met the challenges with such passion and such devotion, you put most other moms to shame. I don't think there is a mountain you wouldn't climb for your boys, and they reap so many benefits having you as their mom. I love the video of Thane on top of the horse - a mighty warrior, conquering nations, leading the troops, and melting hearts along the journey.

CurvyDiva said...

What a wonderful and uplifting video - he looked so happy. This seems like a huge deal to me for Thaney!