Sunday, July 22, 2007

What Fresh Hell is This?

To say I am out of sorts is putting it mildly . . . my home has been invaded once again by a friend of Braeden’s, so there is no peace to be found anywhere. It is finally a beautiful day outside and they have quite successfully ruined any chance of my enjoying it.

It started with Dave being particularly stupid. I was actually asleep. Peacefully asleep. This is pretty rare and I really needed it. I’m tired, coughing until I puke on daily basis, and constantly sick to my stomach. Why men’s brains fly out the window, I still have not figured out. He woke me up and while I was incoherent asked if Braeden could have a friend over. Never mind that Braeden’s behavior has been wretched all week and none of his friends should be subjected to any more of his ill behavior . . . nor should any of us have to be tormented into having to correct him every two seconds as he appears to have lost all ability to understand words like “stop” (I tried unsuccessfully last night to get him to define it without using the word in the definition) . . . but we had already discussed not having a play date on Sunday.

We simply can’t have two successive weekend days where we’re unable to catch up on chores or go run errands – it sets us up for too little sleep all week as we try to have the house somewhat ready for the invasion of the therapists.

The deeper issue is that Braeden seems to have this brat-intensifier that hones in us when he has a friend over. So not only do we have trip over extra people, constantly feed them and find wasted drinks and food all over the house, we get rewarded by having to put up with Super Snarky Boy.

I ended up totally furious with Super Snarky Boy on Thursday. There are two pieces to it. The first is that he annoyed a friend so much that he decided he didn’t want Braeden over, which led to the boy’s mom driving 25 miles to get rid of him. How embarrassing. I would have gotten him, but I think she was trying to do me a favor since things have been so awful lately. Then Super Snarky went far enough that she said something totally offensive to him, so now I feel very angry with her as well. I put up with a rotation of children through play dates and carpools, so I know how annoying these children can be. I’m an adult, though, so I tend to vent elsewhere and keep my cool with the kids.

I commented to the mom of the friend who was over last night that he had been rather mellow and well-mannered, but Braeden was driving us crazy. We had a few instances in the pool where I had to intervene and get Braeden to stop. She very gently explained that something went on when Braeden was over at her house the other day too – that her son asked if they could call me to have me talk to him because he was being more aggressive and not listening to his requests to stop something, but then they seemed to work it out and they never called. We pretty much have consensus among all adults who have spent time with Braeden this past week that he has been unusually obnoxious.

Now that Staples commercial where the parents are dancing in the aisles while they buy school supplies is going through my head, but the reality is that I think my life is going to be equally miserable after the school year begins. The children will still be on different schedules and we’ll still have absolutely no reliable support other than a single mom who works seven days a week. When I do accept help from someone else it, it seems to bite me in the backside (Thursday) . . . not that we get many offers.

No comments: