Saturday, September 16, 2006

A sappy mommy moment . . .

A couple of big things have happened recently. My little one is diagnosed as having Pervasive Development Disorder Not Otherwise Specified (PDD-NOS), language delay/ Childhood Apraxia of Speech (CAS – a motor planning problem), and “failure to thrive” because he is so small. He has allergies to wheat, eggs and milk, and in the process of taking him off wheat we realized he has gluten intolerance. He amazed us with rapidly gaining speech and starting to put sentences together – he gained about a year’s worth of speech in around 3 months.

The big things are definite mommy moments. Thane called me mom on occasion, usually when reminded to and echoing whoever was saying it, but this past week he has started saying mom regularly without any prompting. He comes right up to me and says “Hello Mom! What’s up?”

He’s also starting to kiss. I think my heart just melted three times because he just gave me three kisses! How wonderful is that? I have gotten a kiss almost every day this week. He still doesn’t fully pucker, but he doesn’t head-butt us when we try anymore. And this time he even made the choice to kiss me on his own.

I was posting a note to one of my groups and I was getting sappy about my boys. It’s really easy to explain the proud mommy stuff about Braeden. He’s warm, loving, intelligent, a deep thinker, and very creative . . . he is wonderful with his brother, wonderful with me, though he and his father drive each other crazy pushing each other's buttons. He’s the miracle baby I never thought I would have and now he’s growing up into a great person.

Thane is harder to explain. He is beautiful and magical. There is something about him that I can’t really put in words. And I never thought I would have a second child, so he's my miracle too.

My husband and I got incredibly lucky with these two boys!

No comments: